Social media has proven to be a field-leveling innovation that brings consumers closer to small businesses at affordable costs. But what about marketing and advertising on reddit? We all know there are millions of reddit users, however few small businesses have developed effective marketing strategies for the reddit platform due to its reputation as an “anti-marketing platform”. Read this article for tips on how to advertise and market your small business on reddit while respecting the platform and community.
reddit Advertising and Marketing Tips for Small Businesses
1. Register a username that represents your brand. This lets redditors know who you are when you submit posts, comments, and advertisements.
2. Identify the subreddits that represent your target audience. Search reddit for keywords related to your business and subscribe to the subreddits you find. If you serve local areas, subscribe to those subreddits, too.
3. Contribute to the reddit community. Before you start promoting your business, read through other redditors’ submissions and offer advice or answer questions. If you are good small business owner, you should have expert knowledge that other redditors will appreciate. Before promoting yourself, share a blog post created by someone else or ask a question to learn more about the subreddit.
4. Hold a reddit AMA. If you are an expert (and you should be if you own a business!), then you may be a great candidate to hold a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most AMA’s happen in the big r/IAmA and r/AMA subreddits, but that isn’t where you will hold yours. Instead, choose a subreddit that is best aligned with your expertise and plan your AMA. We helped the Residency Pro plan and execute his AMA in r/MedicalSchool with great success.
5. Advertise to promote. Use reddit’s advertising platform to directly promote your business and website content. We recommend using a “jab – jab – right hook” campaign strategy (via @GaryVee). Choose a subreddit that best represents your target audience and promote valuable content you have created first. After that ad runs for 2-3 days, create an ad that has direct call-to-actions to sell your products or services.
6. Respect the reddit platform and its users. Above all else, do not abuse reddit or you will not see any benefit from your time spent there. Make sure you always respond to comments and direct messages from other users. Never blatantly self-promote in an organic submission. And, always look to contribute to the community with your expertise.
Marketing on reddit can be an effective way to grow your brand and increase sales for your small business. Advertising costs are extremely low right now and there are millions of users who visit the site every day. Follow the tips above to develop your own personal reddit marketing strategy.
If you need help with marketing your small business on reddit, contact us today for a free consultation.