Every leader knows how important it is to communicate effectively with their audience. Whether its a group of customers, fans, followers, or employees, it pays to be able to personally communicate with them. Rather than relying on traditional media, there are now low-cost and effective tools for every leader to create their own custom, independent media conglomerate.
Here are 5 independent media opportunities that every leader should explore:
- Social Media includes Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms. A good leader will engage their audience on the platforms that they use the most. Be candid and original when using these tools. Respond to and interact with your followers. Nothing makes you more accessible than social media.
- Blogging is still an effective way to communicate with your audience. Unlike social media, blogging gives a leader the opportunity to write more in-depth and well thought out messages. It is okay to have someone edit your posts, but make sure the first draft is authentic. Also, it is very important to post on a consistent basis. This could be weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly – whatever works for you. If you have a website, I recommend adding your blog to that site, rather than creating a blog through an external source (for SEO purposes).
- Video Blogging is not the easiest form of media to produce, but it is the most intimate way to deliver a message to a large audience. Don’t get too hung up on video production quality. Shooting a 60-second video once a month from your office webcam is better than doing nothing at all. If you have something important to say to your audience, record a short video, post it on YouTube and embed it in a corresponding blog post. If you have the time and resources, use them to create a higher quality production.
- Podcasting is an emerging form of internet media that can offer opportunities to create longer forms of live content. Interviews, debates, and scripted or unscripted banter are all effective types of podcast content. You can do cost-effective podcasting with minimal recording and editing experience. Your podcast should be posted on your blog and if possible, get it syndicated for free on iTunes.
- Reddit is the emerging social media powerhouse. There are countless ways to participate on reddit, from starting your very own subreddit to holding a reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything). Reddit allows you to connect with your audience in a deeper and more effective way, unlike any other social media platform. If you are a leader, try searching reddit for the topic that you are an expert in. Find out if there is a community that would appreciate your participation and reach out to them. For more info on reddit, read Reddit for Better Marketing and Communications.
With these 5 low-cost communication tools, you can interact with your audience on a highly personal and engaging level. If you are not using one of these tools, start experimenting with one today and see if works for you. You can always add more channels or try different approaches later.
Of course, if you need help getting started with any of these media opportunities, contact us.