Telescope is a development framework that makes it easy to create a reddit-style community. Brands and influencers can use Telescope to create their own reddit or Product Hunt-style communities and have a little more control over the community than they would if they used a subreddit. In this post, we look at the features of Telescope and compare it to a subreddit so you can identify which solution is right for you.
To get a feel for what a Telescope community looks like, check out the demo.
Main Features of Telescope
- Built-In Newsletters – Telescope integrates with Mailchimp and has a built-in email capture feature. You can then setup auto-newsletter and adjust the frequency and # of posts included.
- Responsive Design – Every Telescope community is mobile friendly for all devices.
- Open source and easy to customize – Telescope is completely free. Documentation is included and a developer can easily customize the code for your needs.
- Real-time updating – Posts, voting, and comments update live without needing to refresh your browser.
- Flexible Authentication – Choose to allow users to register via email, Twitter, and/or Facebook.
Telescope vs. Subreddit
Telescope is great for anyone that wants full control over design and functionality and has the resources to maintain the application. Telescope offers these unique advantages over a subreddit:
- Users do not have to join reddit. They can register via email, facebook, or Twitter.
- Full control of the design and functionality of the community.
- Utilize a custom domain name.
- Categories can easily be added to filter content by post-type.
- Users can receive email notifications for various events (e.g. comment replies, new posts).
- Easily integrates with Mailchimp to send weekly digests of the top voted content to users.
- Users have a profile with a photo, bio, and link.
- Telescope has a responsive design and is mobile-friendly on all devices.
Here are a few reasons to utilize a subreddit rather than creating a custom Telescope community:
- Your audience is active on reddit.
- Creating a subreddit is easy to set up and maintain.
- Reddit hosts your subreddit for free.
- You want to tap into the reddit audience.
Telescope is an excellent framework to use if you would like to develop a reddit-like community. It is free to use for any purpose and there is a solid community of developers supporting it. There are some very distinct advantages to using Telescope as opposed to a subreddit, however, a subreddit still may be more suitable for certain clients depending on their audience and goals.